Decatur, Illinois

Decatur, Illinois
Curve-In, Fairview Avenue

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sandy Rentfro

Sandra Rentfro was an active member of the Senior Class of 1965, and for years involved in the National Honor Society, Spanish Club, cheerleading, and homecoming committees at MacArthur.

Today she is known as Sandy Porter, and she shares what's happened to her in the last few decades:

"After graduation I attended EIU briefly before going to work for Caterpillar where I met my husband of 43 yrs, Joe Porter (Moweaqua, Class of '59). We have 2 children and 4 grandchildren under the age of 6. We lived in Mt. Zion until Caterpillar transferred us to Pekin, Illinois; then York, Pennsylvania; then back to Illinois where we've lived since 1988.

"Remember those old commercials on WLS for US30 Drag Strip in Oswego, Illinois? Well, that's where I live. The drag strip is long gone but we still like to take the '55 Chevy out and relive the 'good old days.'


"I enjoy bowling, golf (sometimes), traveling (except for the flying part), eating out, country music and old time rock and roll.

"I also love reading, and I am a member of that dying breed of reader that loves the print media. There isn't anything better than curling up with a good book or magazine. Curling up with a Kindle just isn't the same!

"My favorite place on earth is Kauai but home is where my family is. My husband wishes it were Tennessee where our property is but the grandchildren are in Illinois. Life's too short to not be where they are. It has been fun (and at times sad) to see what has happened to the Class of '65 but I've enjoyed reconnecting.

"We started going to Hawaii after Hurricane Iniki almost destroyed the place and they had low prices to attract tourists. No longer the case but it is still the Garden Isle though. Not like Oahu which is Chicago with palm trees.

"My daughter Holly is an Editor with CCH Inc. (publisher of tax and business law books). My son Wade travels the world as a market professional for Caterpillar."



"What was my first car? It's times like these that I really miss my Dad. He bought me that car and he would have been able to tell me chapter and verse about it. All I remember is that it was 1962 Oldsmobile blue/green 4-door and that my Dad signed it over to Joe before we got married. I always wondered why he did that. Was it some sort of dowery? I'm sorry I never asked him while I could. Perhaps in the 60s that didn't seem as odd as it does today. We really have come a long way, baby.

"My current car is a 2007 Toyota 4-Runner Limited. While I love 4 Runners in general (I've had 3), I hate this particular car for a variety of reasons. If I hadn't accidentally ripped the door off my 2002 4-Runner, I wouldn't even have it. FYI - if you leave your receipt in the gas pump, do not leave your car running and your door open when you get out to retrieve it - or at least make sure your car really is in park. To my husband's credit, he didn't kill me. Not a day goes by that I don't regret ruining that car."

No comments: