Decatur, Illinois

Decatur, Illinois
Curve-In, Fairview Avenue

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Delinda Chapman

Delinda Chapman filled her MacArthur days with singing, student activities, and more. During her freshman year, she was involved in Girls Glee Club, and then the Girls Choir as a sophomore. Student Council got her attention as a sophomore and senior. During her junior year, Delinda was active with Concert Choir, Prom Decorations Committee, Junior Talent Show, Stephen Decatur Exchange, Big Mac Day, and Junior Class Ring Committee. At the end of her days at Mac, she was the chair of Homecoming Photography, and with the Float Committee, as well as in the Russian and French Clubs. No one could claim that Delinda Chapman remained idle as she rushed towards graduation in 1965.

So, how do you think she's lived her life?

Here is Delinda's update:

"I have been busy since I last saw you all as I am sure everyone else has been. Below is my brief bio outlining the years in between.

"I retired from state government employment December 2002 after 21 years of service. For thirteen years prior to state government, I was a teacher, principal and supervisor of elementary education. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and Master's and Doctorate degrees in education.

"I am a past president of the American Association of University Women—Illinois and a past national board member of AAUW as the Great Lakes Regional Director.

"For the past ten years, I have hosted and produced 'Equity for Women' and 'The Learning Curve,' a cable television program in Springfield, Illinois.

"I married my college sweetheart, [and that marriage] lasted four years. After my doctorate, I married John Erickson. We were married for 25 years, until his death in July of 2004.

"For the last five years, I have been painting pictures finding my hidden creativity. I show my paintings in three venues in Springfield and one in Jacksonville, Illinois.

"I have four step-daughters, four granddaughters, three grandsons, and three great-grandsons and one great-granddaughter who keep me young and alert.

"I am still busy."

Delinda's answer to the first car question follows:



"My first car was a 1965 red VW convertible bought to get me to student teaching. What a car! I drove VWs for 20 years then was shamed into buying something more professional by my employer as the floorboards were rusting out in my latest VW model. So after four other cars I am now driving two KIAs, a sedan for the road and a Sportage for my art work. I saw a new VW convertible a few weeks ago, sigh. I think my next and last car will be just that!!"

No comments: