Decatur, Illinois

Decatur, Illinois
Curve-In, Fairview Avenue

Monday, June 21, 2010

Margy High

Margery Anne High, also known as Margy High, also known today as Margery Kane, started out her freshman year at MacArthur, quietly enough, in the girls chorus, the Latin Club, and the high school newspaper workshop. But that would only be a hint of what was to follow. Margy became involved in Girls Choir and Monitor Feature Staff as a sophomore and junior, the Christmas Program for four years, and several music programs during her junior and senior years. As a senior, Margy was the Honor Roll Editor. She filled her four years with lots of words and music.

What has Margy been doing in the last four plus decades?

She answered with this:

"Where do I start?

"After high school, I attended Southern Illinois University and received a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education.

"Sally (Buck) Carll and I were roommates at Southern. We stood up for each other when we each got married and have stayed best friends for all these years. By the time I got my bachelor’s degree, I had one daughter and another one on the way.

"My husband, Ken Robinson, and I lived in Carbondale and that’s where we raised our daughters, Kristy and Leslie (who are now 42 and 38!!). I have two grandchildren, Jake and Meg (ages 15 and 10). Both daughters and their families live in the St. Louis area, where I go frequently to see them.

"So how did I land in Urbana, IIllinois? My life after the divorce from Ken was a single one. I went back to school and earned a Master’s degree in English at SIU. I taught English part time at John A. Logan College in Carterville, Illinois. My full time job at SIU-C was as an office manager for a water research group, which enabled me to travel the country, as I was in charge of all the conferences and meetings. All this time, I was enjoying the girls and putting them through SIU-C as well. They’re both married and have good jobs in St. Louis now. Kristy, my oldest, and her husband, Bob, have my grandchildren. Leslie and Greg are “yuppies” – living in the city and enjoying traveling and city living!"



"I have been single for most of my adult life, but found my husband, John Kane, in 1996, when I moved back to Decatur. We dated in Decatur, were together for 10 years, married for 5 of those, and moved to Urbana when we married because I was working here at Human Kinetics Publishers as a managing editor for scholarly journals in the physical activity field. John died in 2007 of cancer.

"Since then, I’ve been working, enjoying friends I’ve made in Urbana, going to Decatur frequently to see my brothers who live there, and sharing my home with my dog, Scout (she’s 3 years old: a brown and white Cock-a-Poo). I met my 'significant other' a couple of years ago, and we enjoy traveling and attending events here in the Champaign-Urbana area."



When I asked Margy about her first car, here's what she said:

"I think the boys of the class of 1965 have more interesting car stories!!"

"Yikes: my first car....I'm thinking it was a little white Corvair with red seats. I didn't have a car of my own in high school like my brothers did (noisy Corvettes). The Corvair was one I had when I was married at age 20. My dad wasn't very happy I was driving it - and he was right: I wrecked it when the brakes failed in Carbondale early on. I did have a wonderful 1964 red Volkswagon convertible that I had when attending Millikin while my husband was in Viet Nam (around 1969). I loved that car.

"My present car is a 2005 Chrysler Sebring (I love the heated seats in the winter). Just goes to show how age has altered my priorities!! I may get a zippy little car next time, though."

Margy High Kane added a final note:

"That's it in a nutshell. I’m in good health after two hip replacements ~ and look forward to visiting with all of you next year. I’ll probably come solo unless I find a classmate to accompany me. See you in June of 2011!"


++++

So what have you been up to in the last, well, 45 years?

Can you help us find our missing classmates?

Add your Mac '65 brief biography to the virtual and real reunion project and see your polished and edited notes published at this blog. To contact Loren Coleman or others on the Mac '65 reunion committee, please use this safe contact form here.

Thank you.

Reunion is set for June 24-25, 2011 !, Decatur, Illinois.

No comments: